Instant Pot Mac and Cheese – made with just 5 real food ingredients. This is SO MUCH BETTER (and easier) than any mac and cheese I’ve ever had! Unreal.
- 1 pound uncooked whole wheat pasta
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- Noodles: Put the whole wheat pasta, water, butter, and salt into the Instant Pot (affiliate link). Cook for 4 minutes using the manual function. Immediately after timer goes off, release the steam using the valve on top. The noodles should have a thin layer of starchy, buttery sauce on them.
- Cheese: Gently stir in the cheese and milk. Add more seasoning or liquid as necessary. MWAH! Enjoy. It’s so, so good.
My favorite cheese combo is 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup Italian blend shredded cheese. Really, any kind of cheese you like will be good here. I lean towards smooth-melting cheeses such as cheddar, gouda, gruyere, Monterrey jack, etc. Stringy cheeses (i.e. Mozzarella or Provolone) might be tricky to work with (think ooey gooey cheese bomb) but would obvi still taste awesome.
I tried this with gluten free noodles and did not have great results – they just turned to mush. Sad face. I am writing the recipe to include whole wheat noodles because they kept their shape the best.
I often add a pinch of garlic salt or a swish of hot sauce when serving. I can’t not. 😋