This Lemongrass Chicken with Rice and Zucchini is OMG-level good! Tender chicken thighs, sautéed and then simmered in a creamy coconut and lemongrass sauce, sits next to a steamy pile of jasmine rice, fresh herbs, and your choice of veg.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed (optional), minced
- one 1-inch knob of ginger, grated or minced
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass or lemongrass paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- one 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut cream (similar to coconut milk, but NOT the same as cream of coconut, which is sweetened!)
- juice and zest of one lime
- salt to taste
- cilantro and/or basil, chopped
- zucchini or broccoli or a nice lil green salad
- Cook the chicken: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken thighs, sprinkle with spices, and cook for 8-10 minutes until cooked through. Remove from pan. Once cooled, shred / pull into small bite-sized pieces.
- Make the lemongrass sauce: Add the garlic, jalapeño, and ginger to the chicken pan (you don’t have to wipe it out – save all those good flavors). Sauté until fragrant. Add the lemongrass and brown sugar; stir to combine. Add coconut cream and bring to a low, gentle simmer. Season with lime zest, lime juice, and salt.
- Finish: Add chicken back in to the sauce. Stir in some fresh cilantro or basil just before serving. Serve over rice with any veggies that you like. And now enjoy this amazing flavor moment. ♡
For the chicken, I prefer it to be a little more roughly chopped rather than perfectly cut pieces, so I like to do a combination of shredding and then run my knife once or twice through the whole pile of shredded chicken.
The amount of oil you use with the chicken as well as the length of time that you cook it will both affect the overall creaminess of the sauce. More oil in the pan = thinner sauce. I normally use about 1 tablespoon of oil with the sautéing of the chicken, and I let the chicken cook until it’s very browned on the outside, leaving almost no oil left in the pan (just delicious browned bits stuck to the bottom, which get pulled up again when you build the sauce in the pan). The video here shows a little more oil and less cooking time for the chicken, resulting in a slightly more runny sauce. It’s going to be delicious either way you go with the sauce because this flavor is so awesome.
Instant Pot instructions: 1. Add the chicken, seasonings, and lemongrass sauce ingredients (except for the coconut cream) to the Instant Pot. 2. Pour in 1/4 cup of water, cover, and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. 3. Release the steam, shred the chicken, and stir in the coconut cream. 4. Let the chicken sit for a few minutes to thicken up and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Thai-Inspired
Keywords: lemongrass chicken, chicken recipe, lemongrass recipe