Lemongrass Vermicelli Salad – a summer showstopper! A twirl of vermicelli noodles, pan-fried tofu, fresh herbs and veggies, and a lime-and-lemongrass-based sauce that just slips all over the plate.
- 1–2 tablespoons lemongrass paste, or 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemongrass (white parts only)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice (3–4 limes)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2–3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon roasted red chile paste (I used this kind but you can use whatever will give you some heat)
- 1 package vermicelli or thin rice noodles (about 8 ounces)
- 2 large carrots, shredded or julienne cut
- 1 cucumber, julienne cut
- a little bundle of fresh mint
- a little bundle of fresh cilantro
- a handful of chopped peanuts
- cooked tofu, shrimp, or chicken (or whatever protein you like)
- Sauce: Make the sauce by blending in a food processor or shaking together in a jar.
- Noodles: Cook vermicelli according to package directions. Rinse well with cold water to cool and remove starchiness. Drain well. Toss noodles with about half of the sauce.
- Pretty Serving Method: Plate individual servings of noodles in a bowl and top with the tofu, carrots, mint, etc. Spoon extra sauce over the top.
- Meal Prep Serving Method: Toss all the noodles with the tofu, peanuts, and carrots (leave out the cucumber and herbs – they will get soggy). Add a little more sauce as needed and store in the fridge. When you’re ready to eat, serve up your pre-mixed stuff with some fresh cucumbers, herbs, and extra sauce.
I cooked my tofu by frying it in a skillet with some oil and soy sauce! Other methods for cooking tofu that we love can be found here. Poached or sautéed shrimp or chicken would also be great – just use what you have / what you like.
The sauce can be made several days in advance and stored in the fridge (i.e. prep on Sunday for your dinner on Tuesday).
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chop
- Cuisine: Vietnamese-Inspired
Keywords: vermicelli noodles, vietnamese salad, noodle salad, tofu salad, summer salad, cold noodle salad, pasta salad