These light Thai chicken lettuce wraps are THE BEST! Super healthy and covered with a simple Thai peanut sauce. So flavorful and delicious!
For the salad
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small head green cabbage (at least 12 large leaves)
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2 large carrots, shredded (about 2 cups)
- green onions, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- cilantro for topping (optional)
For the peanut sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 4 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons water
- scant 1 cup peanuts
- 8 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemongrass paste (I used fresh lemongrass ground into a paste)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Place the chicken breasts in the water (add garlic cloves or salt to season if you want). Simmer for 20 minutes or more until the chicken breasts are cooked through. Drain the water. When they are cool enough to handle, shred the chicken with two forks. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Cut the bottom stem off the cabbage so the leaves come apart easily while still staying intact. Wash the leaves and set aside. Prepare the other vegetables.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor. Puree or blend until the mixture resembles chunky peanut butter (just not as thick). Taste and adjust to fit your preferences.
- Assemble the lettuce wraps by filling the cabbage leaves with chicken, carrots, peppers, green onions, and cilantro. Add a few extra peanuts if you want. Top with a spoonful of peanut sauce and an extra drizzle of soy sauce.
For a vegetarian option, use quinoa instead of chicken. You can definitely use regular lettuce but I like the flavor and the texture of the green cabbage leaves better.
If you can, make the dressing a day ahead of time. It needed a few spoonfuls of water to make it saucy again, but I really liked the flavor on the second day!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: thai lettuce wraps, chicken lettuce wraps, healthy lettuce wraps