This Mushroom Poblano Posole Verde is packed full of zingy flavor and hearty nutrition! Vegetarian and vegan friendly. Delicious!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- half a yellow onion, minced
- 2 poblano peppers, seeds removed, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, minced (optional)
- 16 ounces fresh sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon southwest seasoning
- 24 ounces salsa verde (I used medium)
- 1 cup water
- 4–5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 14 ounce cans white hominy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- cilantro, lime juice, cheese, and chips for serving
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions; saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the peppers and mushrooms; saute for 10-15 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked down to about half their volume and are deep brown (and add another drizzle of oil at this point if necessary).
- Add the seasoning, salsa verde, water, 3 cups broth, bulgur, and hominy. Simmer about 15 minutes or until the bulgur is soft. Add additional broth if needed.
- Serve with cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, shredded cheese, and chips! Add more broth or water to the leftovers – it will thicken as the bulgur continues to soak up the moisture.
This is SPICY! If you don’t want it to be spicy, there are a few things you can do — choose younger peppers (mature ones are spicier), omit the jalapeño, take out the seeds and ribs of the peppers, and use mild salsa verde. Sour cream, cheese, and other toppings will also help to tame the heat.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: mushroom poblano posole verde, posole verde, mushroom posole