These citrus scones that my sister makes are the best homemade scones I’ve ever had. Perfect with a cup of coffee and drizzled with a light citrus glaze.
For the Scones
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the Icing
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- juice of one lemon, juice of one lime
- 1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter to the flour mixture and then add the zest and buttermilk. Stir until just combined.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets, or form dough into a 1-inch thick circle and cut sections like pie pieces.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Cool completely.
- Whisk icing ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle icing over cooled scones.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: citrus scones, scone recipe, citrus glaze