Toasty, chewy, peppery homemade croutons! Little bites of crispy-meets-olive-oil-soaked bread that are just begging to go with your favorite fall soup or on a delicious green salad.
- half a loaf of sourdough bread (THE BEST) but Tuscan bread or any kind of rustic loaf will work
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pull the bread into crouton-y sized chunks.
- Combine the olive oil and garlic in a large bowl. Add bread and massage to work the oil in (some of the bread might crumble into tiny pieces, which provides great texture variety). Season thoroughly with salt and lots of pepper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, turning once so they get evenly browned. Cool on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Use for dunking, dipping, and sopping up all that amazing soup; freeze your extras and re-toast in the oven for future soup-ing!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crouton recipe, croutons, homemade croutons