Asparagus Noodles with Pesto – shave your asparagus into long noodles just like fettuccine!
- 2 pounds jumbo asparagus
- 1/4 cup DeLallo pesto (more to taste)
- cooked, crumbled bacon
- cooked peas
- grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Cut of the woody ends of the asparagus. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus into wide ribbons, like fettuccine noodles. You will get to a point with each piece where you can’t shave them any further, leaving a thicker “noodle” of asparagus. I’d recommend just saving those and using them in something else so they don’t mess with your gorgeous paper-thin noodles.
- Heat a little bit of oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the asparagus to the pan in batches, tossing around the pan for no more than 30 seconds to one minute. You want the asparagus to be right between raw and cooked, because once they get too cooked, they will go soggy on you (and… no thanks).
- Toss the semi-cooked asparagus very gently with the pesto in a large bowl. Plate the “noodles” just like you would with normal pasta, and top with bacon, peas, cheese, and extra pesto! Yummy!
Like most salads, this doesn’t make great leftovers. But you CAN shave the asparagus in advance and just cook it right before serving.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: asparagus noodles, pesto noodles, asparagus recipe