Our new favorite warm and nutritious stew filled with pinto beans, plantains, tomatoes, kale, and lots of cozy spices. Top it with a swizzle of a spicy green sauce called aji verde and you’re in flavor town.
For the Stew:
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (more to taste)
- two 14-ounce cans fire-roasted diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1–2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- 2 medium-ripe plantains, peeled and sliced into small half-moon shapes
- one 15-oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups kale, shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
For the Aji Verde:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 ounces of queso fresco (optional)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, ribs and seeds removed, roughly chopped (add more for more heat!)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt (to taste)
- Shortcut (Optional): Place the onion, garlic, and bell pepper in a food processor and pulse them through for quick and easy chopping!
- Sauté the Veggies: Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onions, garlic, and peppers. Sauté for 5 minutes until soft.
- Build the Stew: Add the cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Bring to a low simmer.
- Cook the Plantains: Add in the plantains. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Add in the pinto beans and kale. Heat until the kale is softened. Stir in the cilantro.
- Aji Verde Sauce: Blend up all aji verde sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. This sauce is spicy!
- Serve It Up: Serve in bowls with rice (optional) and a swirl of aji verde! Also delicious on its own or with a fried egg on top! Yummm.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Peruvian-Inspired
Keywords: plantains, plantain stew, pinto beans, aji verde, vegetarian stew, vegetarian soup, plantain recipe