This Roasted Garlic and White Bean Lasagna Soup is nutritious and comforting and topped with a ricotta Parmesan mixture – perfect for cold winter nights!
For the Lasagna Soup:
- 8 cloves garlic (for roasting)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 14-ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces campanile pasta
For the Ricotta Dollops:
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- minced fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil leaves, torn
- Roast the Garlic: Drizzle the garlic with a tiny bit of olive oil and wrap with foil. Roast for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Make the Soup: Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add oregano, red pepper flakes, and tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, chicken broth, and salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add white beans. Take a few scoops (about one third) of the soup mixture at this point and puree in the blender with the roasted garlic.
- Add Pasta: Add uncooked pasta and simmer on low until pasta is just softened. Taste and adjust (more salt, more red pepper flakes, more basil, etc.)
- Ricotta: In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Serve: Place a dollop of the ricotta mixture in each soup bowl and ladle the soup over the top. Top with extra Parm and fresh basil. YUM!
Nutrition includes the ricotta mixture!
Obviously if you are a vegetarian you would want to use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian-Inspired
Keywords: lasagna soup, white bean lasagna soup, garlic lasagna soup