Sweet Potato Turkey Chili – just five basic ingredients for this delicious real food chili recipe! Sweet potatoes, black beans, turkey, onions, and spices.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 3 sweet potatoes, chopped into small pieces (I left the peel on bc I’m lazy)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups water
- 2–3 cups broth (start with 2)
- 1 14-ounce can black beans
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne for spice (more to taste!)
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a heavy, deep pot. Add the onion, turkey, 1 tablespoon chili powder, and 1 tablespoon taco seasoning. Add water as needed to keep the turkey moist and moving around in the pan. When the turkey is browned and crumbled and the onions are soft, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the same pot with the remaining spices and stir to combine. When the sweet potatoes have browned just slightly, add the garlic, water, and broth. Bring to a low boil and simmer for 10 minutes or so, until the sweet potatoes are very soft. Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture until it reaches your desired consistency (you can also transfer to a regular blender and puree that way).
- Add the browned turkey, black beans, and cayenne – stir to combine.
The saltiness and flavor of the soup will depend on your taco seasoning. I added some salt and pepper and the end, which I recommend – just taste and adjust as you need to. At the risk of sounding crazy, I also added a spoonful or two of brown sugar and some red wine vinegar to give it some tang. I also added about a cup of cooked quinoa a few times to make it a little more hearty – that was good, too. You can top this with sour cream, cilantro, cheese, red onions, tortilla chips, avocado, or whatever else you like!
The third cup of broth can be added at the end if you feel like it needs to be thinned out at all.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato turkey chili, turkey chili, easy chili recipe