White Chicken Chili! One of my favorite soups. Creamy, smoky, cozy, and spicy with BIG flavor and simple ingredients. SO GOOD.
- 4–5 strips of bacon
- 1–2 jalapeños, ribs and seeds removed
- half of a yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- two 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (with juices!)
- 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (you can also use chicken breasts – I like it both ways)
- one 14-ounce can pinto beans
- one 14-ounce can black beans
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- Food processor prep: Pulse the bacon through the food processor until it looks like a chunky paste. Remove bacon and do the same with the onion, garlic, and jalapeño.
- Cook bacon and veggies: Add the bacon to a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Once the bacon starts heating up, add the onion, garlic, and jalapeño mix so it all cooks together.
- Build the soup: Add spices, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook chicken: Add chicken. Bring to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove, cool, and shred.
- Tie it all up: Stir in the shredded chicken, beans, and cream cheese. The chili will be THICK, especially as it cools. It’s almost like a dip because, yes, we are monsters. Thin it out with water as you like!
- Top and serve: Serve with every good thing under the sun, but mostly tortilla chips, cilantro, green onion, and cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: white chicken chili, chicken chili, creamy chili, comfort food, fall recipe, easy chili recipe, retro chili recipe