This recipe for skinny Spaghetti and Meatballs uses lean ground turkey and chopped veggies to make perfect little meatballs.
- 1 1/3 lbs. lean ground turkey
- 2 cups minced bell peppers (about 15 mini peppers)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra salt and pepper
- 35 ounces super smooth spaghetti sauce (my preference)
- 16 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- fresh minced parsley and additional cheese for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prep the peppers. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs and stir until thick and sticky. Add the bell peppers, turkey and salt. Mix with your hands to really get the mixture incorporated.
- Roll the mixture into meatballs (I did smaller sized meatballs and I was able to make about 50) and place on a greased baking sheet. They WILL stick and brown on the bottom as they bake. Sprinkle the meatballs generously with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the baking sheet and set aside.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Heat the spaghetti sauce in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the meatballs and some fresh parsley; stir gently and cover. Let the mixture simmer until the noodles are done cooking and the sauce is warmed through. Combine the sauce and noodles directly in the pan, or just scoop the sauce on top. Sprinkle with a little cheese for good luck. 😉
I’ve been buying low glycemic noodles (usually found in the small organic section of my regular grocery store and so so delicious!) and I’ve been buying spaghetti sauce with a short ingredient list and no added sugar. If you can make 50 total meatballs out of the recipe, one serving includes roughly 6 meatballs.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: healthy spaghetti recipe, spaghetti and meatballs, meatballs