Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup – low maintenance creamy winter comfort food, made from scratch!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- half an onion, diced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- a sprig of fresh rosemary (sub a small pinch of dried herbs)
- a spring of fresh thyme (sub a small pinch of dried herbs)
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 package frozen peas and carrots (2–3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- fresh chopped parsley
- 1 thawed sheet of puff pastry
- Slow Cook: Place the chicken, salt and pepper, onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, broth, potato, and pea/carrot mix in a slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 hours. Remove the chicken, shred, and return to pot. Remove the herb sprigs and discard.
- Make it Creamy: Whisk the flour and cream together until smooth. Add to the slow cooker. Keep on high heat for another hour or so. For a thicker soup, whisk the cornstarch with a little bit of cold water and add it to warm soup in the slow cooker.
- Bake the Puff Toppers: Cut your puff pastry into triangles, circles, or hearts! Bake as directed (we did 375 for 10-15 minutes).
- Serve: Stir the parsley into the soup to add a little fresh color. Divide the soup among bowls and top with the puff pastry. Yummy!
If you wanted to get the best possible color for your peas, I would chop up some fresh carrots and put those in right away, and just add your frozen peas at the end.
For best results, warm the cream before you add it to the crockpot. This helps the cornstarch activate and thicken the soup more quickly.
Clancy’s original recipe didn’t call for cornstarch, and you could definitely make it without. But I added it because I wanted it to be super thick and creamy like pot pie gravy filling!
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken pot pie soup, slow cooker chicken pot pie soup, crockpot chicken pot pie soup