Okay kids, how fun is this?
It’s fun on both fronts: the creamy chicken pot pie soup made in the slow cooker (with heart puff pastries! adorable!) AND this new thing we did this month and it’s called the Reader Recipe, which is exactly like it sounds: recipes from readers!
This month our winning submission was from Clancy! It’s creamy, savory, and totally WINTER COMFORT FOOD which was exactly what we asked for from our submissions.
How to Make Our Chicken Pot Pie Soup (1 MIN 10 SEC):
She recommended a Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe to us, and while I was excited about the creamy chicken, the veggies, the herbs and potatoes and all that, the thing that really got me excited was, hate to say it, but the HEART SHAPED PUFFS on top!
These are the very important life things that win me over.
Making Clancy’s recipe in our studio kitchen was so much fun.
Getting giddy about the hearts:
Adorable team lunch moment:
This recipe is solid winter slow cooker material! Thank you Clancy for your submission and thank you to everyone else who submitted a February recipe! (Honorable mention to Andréanne – I made your dad’s banana bread the exact same night you submitted the recipe because it sounded so good! And it did not disappoint.)
If you want to submit something for our March Reader Recipe, check for instructions at the end of the post!
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup – low maintenance creamy winter comfort food, made from scratch!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- half an onion, diced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- a sprig of fresh rosemary (sub a small pinch of dried herbs)
- a spring of fresh thyme (sub a small pinch of dried herbs)
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 package frozen peas and carrots (2–3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- fresh chopped parsley
- 1 thawed sheet of puff pastry
- Slow Cook: Place the chicken, salt and pepper, onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, broth, potato, and pea/carrot mix in a slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 hours. Remove the chicken, shred, and return to pot. Remove the herb sprigs and discard.
- Make it Creamy: Whisk the flour and cream together until smooth. Add to the slow cooker. Keep on high heat for another hour or so. For a thicker soup, whisk the cornstarch with a little bit of cold water and add it to warm soup in the slow cooker.
- Bake the Puff Toppers: Cut your puff pastry into triangles, circles, or hearts! Bake as directed (we did 375 for 10-15 minutes).
- Serve: Stir the parsley into the soup to add a little fresh color. Divide the soup among bowls and top with the puff pastry. Yummy!
If you wanted to get the best possible color for your peas, I would chop up some fresh carrots and put those in right away, and just add your frozen peas at the end.
For best results, warm the cream before you add it to the crockpot. This helps the cornstarch activate and thicken the soup more quickly.
Clancy’s original recipe didn’t call for cornstarch, and you could definitely make it without. But I added it because I wanted it to be super thick and creamy like pot pie gravy filling!
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken pot pie soup, slow cooker chicken pot pie soup, crockpot chicken pot pie soup
Hey friend. Do YOU have a great recipe that you think we should try? TELL US ABOUT IT.
March Reader Recipe Challenge
This month our theme is salads! Like, actually yum-o salads. Green salads, grain salads, chicken salads, fruit salads, noodle salads… all of em.
You can submit your March salad recipe by clicking HERE. Submissions are now closed.