This Slow Cooker Creole Chicken and Sausage just takes 10 minutes to prep and has beans and bell peppers for bonus healthy points.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 ounces smoked Andouille sausage, cut into small rounds
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 14 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions for topping
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (randomly delicious)
- salt to taste
- brown rice for serving
- Place the essential ingredients in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Shred the chicken directly in the crockpot to your desired texture. Add the extras, if you want, and cover and cook for another 20-30 minutes. This is also a great time to make your rice, if you’re serving it with rice. When everything is ready, taste the chicken mixture and season with salt. Serve the creole chicken over rice and topped with green onions.
Freezer Meal Version
- Freeze Together:
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
12 ounces Andouille sausage, sliced
1 14-ounce can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
2–3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 green or red bell peppers, chopped
half an onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
1–2 teaspoons salt (if your Creole seasoning doesn’t have any)
- Instant Pot Instructions: High pressure 15 mins + 10 mins natural release
- Slow Cooker Instructions: High setting 4 hours (thaw first)
- Final Step: Shred chicken. Serve with rice and top with cheese, hot sauce, and/or green onions.
- Check out our full freezer meal posts with all recipes and instructions here!
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Creole-Inspired
Keywords: creole chicken and sausage, slow cooker creole recipe, chicken and sausage