This spicy sweet quinoa squash bowl is a delicious vegetarian entree that includes fresh spinach, hummus, butternut squash, pecans, and quinoa.
- 1 cup quinoa (+ vegetable stock, optional)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (for mild spice)
- 2 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup toasted pecan pieces
- Cook quinoa according to directions, using vegetable stock for half of the water (optional) and adding 2 teaspoons curry and brown sugar to the pot before cooking.
- Coat squash with olive oil, white sugar, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon curry, and salt to taste. Roast in a 400 degree oven or in skillet until golden brown and fork-tender.
- Add squash, cilantro and spinach to the cooked quinoa and toss gently to combine. Top each bowl with pecans and white bean hummus.
For the white bean hummus, puree 1 can white cannellini beans, 1/4 cup vegetable stock, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 clove garlic, and salt/pepper to taste.
Nutritional information does not include the hummus.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: spicy sweet squash bowl, squash bowl, sweet squash bowl