An herby, fresh vegan power salad featuring cauliflower, apples, shallots, roasted spiced chickpeas, and a quick grainy mustard dressing.
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- chili powder, salt, and pepper
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 apple, sliced thin
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- a handful of parsley and mint, chopped
- 2 firm avocados, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- juice and zest of one lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Chickpeas: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chickpeas on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chili powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Roast for 20-30 minutes until crispy and browned.
- Cauliflower Prep: Working in batches, run the cauliflower florets through a food processor until you get “rice” – it should take about 20-30 pulses.
- Dressing: Shake up all the ingredients in a jar, or whisk together. Taste and adjust.
- Assembly: Toss everything together. That’s it!
If going sugar free is important to you, make sure to look for a mustard without sugar.
I like to reserve a few chickpeas and herbs to top the salad, just to make it pretty.
This salad doesn’t last long once tossed together, so if you’re prepping in advance, keep everything separate.
Maple syrup or agave would be a perfect sub to make this recipe vegan.
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cauliflower salad, spring salad, vegan salad