These sweet potato doughnuts are made completely from scratch – it’s the perfect way to sneak some sweet potatoes into your favorite sweet breakfast!
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast
- 1 egg + 1 yolk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk, lukewarm
- sweet potato puree (from about one medium sweet potato)
- 6 tbs. butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- Combine all ingredients except flour. Whisk until smooth.
- Add flour and knead for 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased, covered bowl and allow to rise for about an hour.
- Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut out doughnuts.
- Place cut doughnuts and doughnut holes on a greased plate. Cover and allow to rise in a semi-warm place until doubled in size (about 30 minutes).
- Heat oil to medium heat (about 350 degrees). Fry each doughnut a minute or two on each side until cooked. Place on a plate with paper towels to drain.
- Dip in glaze and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
For the glaze, I used 3/4 cup cream, 2 tbs. butter, and about 1 1/2 cups sugar melted together.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato doughnuts, homemade doughnuts, sweet potato puree doughnuts