This sweet potato tater tot hotdish is a spicy twist on the original – loaded with peppers, corn, black beans, homemade queso sauce, and tots! YUM!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 red/yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, chopped
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, stems removed, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 pound pepperjack cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 14-ounce can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- salt to taste
- 1–2 bags sweet potato tater tots
- red peppers, corn, cilantro, jalapeño for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the butter over medium high heat in a 10.25-inch cast iron skillet. Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, and peppers; saute until soft. Add the spices and stir to mix.
- Add the flour and stir to coat until everything gets sticky. Add the milk slowly, stirring after each addition, until you get a smooth mixture. Add the cheese cubes and stir until melted.
- Stir in the black beans and corn. Taste and adjust – this is a good time to add your salt!
- Top the whole thing with tater tots (I did mine in a circle formation).
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. BEWARE THE BUBBLING OVER – put a pan underneath to catch any drips. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
REALLY good with a hit of Tabasco or something acidic/spicy.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican-Inspired
Keywords: sweet potato tater tots, tater tots sweet potato, sweet potato tater tot hot dish