Chicken Tinga Tacos – the only chicken tinga tacos recipe you will ever need! Spicy, saucy, simple, and so fresh. Recipe is posted with permission from The Minimalist Kitchen (affiliate link) cookbook (although I’ve taken the liberty of adding “The Best” as a necessary recipe title prefix).
Chicken Tinga Tacos:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup roughly chopped sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup canned crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works!)
- 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- crumbled cotija
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Sauce: Heat a large skillet over medium. Once warm, add the oil and onion. Sauté for 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Stir in the chipotles, oregano, and cumin, and toast for 1 minute. Add in the tomatoes, stock, and salt. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 7 minutes.
- Blend: Place the tomato mixture in a high-powered or regular blender, and blend until smooth.
- Chicken: Return the blended sauce to the pan over low heat. Add the chicken, and cook for 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Serving: Prepare the garnishes. To assemble, top the tortillas with the chicken and garnish with the avocado slices, cilantro, red onion, and cotija. Serve with a lime wedge for squeezing.
Instant Pot Chicken Tinga Tacos: Blend all sauce ingredients (I did not saute them first). Add sauce to Instant Pot along with about a pound of chicken breasts. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Shred chicken in sauce and serve.
Spiciness: I like to use two chipotle peppers for optimal “medium” spiciness. If you want a mild version, just use one chipotle pepper. If you want it hot hot hot, go for three.
Avocado Mash: I found my avocados sliding out of the tacos because I am a taco monster and things got a little messy. To make sure I got every ounce of avocado goodness possible, I mashed up the avocado, squeezed in some lime juice, sprinkled in some salt and a super light dusting of garlic powder, and spread that on my tortillas before adding the chicken.
CHAR YOUR TORTILLAS PLEASE: Place directly over a gas flame to char the edges. Place on a plate, and cover with a towel to steam. (If working on an electric stovetop, heat the tortillas on a warmed pan, and cover to steam.)
Freezer Meal Version
- Blend Into a Sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
half of an onion
2 cloves garlic
2 individual chipotles in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1 14-ounce can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Freeze sauce with:
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Instant Pot Instructions: High pressure 15 mins + 10 mins natural release
- Slow Cooker Instructions: High setting 4 hours (thaw first)
- Final Step: Serve as tacos, on a salad, in a rice bowl, or in enchiladas.
- Check out our full freezer meal posts with all recipes and instructions here!
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: chicken taco recipe, chicken tinga, chicken tinga tacos, taco recipe