This vegan crunchwrap is INSANE! You can stuff this bad boy with whatever you like – I made it with sofritas tofu and cashew queso. SO GOOD! Favorite vegan recipe to date.
Spicy Sofritas Tofu
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu (press out some liquid first)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (add about 1 teaspoon salt if it’s unsalted)
- 2 chipotle peppers, minced
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can diced green chiles (or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning (add a pinch of salt if it’s unsalted)
- huge burrito-sized flour tortillas
- something crunchy: tostadas, tortilla chips or, dare I say, Doritos / Hot Cheetos (!!)
- roasted vegetables
- black beans
- fresh stuff: tomatoes, cabbage slaw, lettuce, cilantro
- Sofritas Tofu: Heat oil over medium high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add tofu and break apart into crumbles. Add taco seasoning, salt, chipotles, and salsa. Get it all going in the pan, nice and hot. Finish by letting everything sit without stirring for another 10+ minutes (adding oil to prevent sticking as needed) until you get some nice browned, almost-crunchy pieces.
- Cashew Queso: Blend everything together aggressively until smooth!
- Crunch Wrap Time: Lay a large tortilla on a flat surface. Layer: tofu, queso, crunchy stuff, and any other extras you want in there. Fold in the edges of the tortilla toward the center. Place in a hot oiled skillet, seam side down. Cook for a few minutes on each side until the exterior is firm, crunchy, and golden brown. Cut and serve!
FOR REGULAR SIZE CRUNCHWRAPS: Keep your filling amounts minimal. It is very common to run into the issue of overflow, in which case, you can a) reduce filling amounts, b) fold it up as-is and hope for the best – I found even half-closed crunchwraps still grilled up nicely, c) break your tostadas into smaller pieces to allow you more space, or d) make a MEGA CRUNCHWRAP. See next note.
FOR MEGA CRUNCHWRAPS (this is what I demonstrated in the post): Cut a few of the large flour tortillas so they are the same size as your tostadas. Then, once you’ve layered all ingredients, just place a small flour cutout tortilla on top and fold edges over that. This should buy you a little extra space for filling.
FOR MARINATED CABBAGE: I just tossed some thinly chopped cabbage with olive oil, salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: vegan crunchewrap, sofritas crunchwrap, vegetarian crunchwrap