This vegan crunchwrap is INSANE! Stuff this bad boy with whatever you like – I made it with sofritas tofu and cashew queso – and wrap it up, fry, and devour! Favorite vegan recipe to date.
I’m a Crunchwrap, and I’m drenched in cashew queso, and I’m totally VEGAN.
I’m loaded to obscenity with browned sofritas tofu, black beans, cashew queso, crispy tostada, tangy marinated cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, and I’m wrapped in a golden brown, perfectly crispy, handheld-friendly tortilla pocket. I am here to make you happy.
But I’m also a blank canvas. You have some cauliflower walnut taco meat laying around? Roasted sweet potatoes? Chipotle cauliflower? I will wrap all of it up in a Crunchwrappy hug and you will not be sad at dinnertime.
(This is me now. Not me-as-Crunchwrap. Thank you for understanding.)
Listen, I had some mega requirements for this recipe before I started. It needed to be:
- Reasonably fast (no soaking cashews, no obnoxiously long prep)
- Easy-to-access ingredients (so long, nutritional yeast)
- Customizable to whatever protein / sauce / vegetables I had on hand
- Above all else, SUPER RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS.
So yes, this is a recipe, and I did include the instructions for some (VERY VERY EASY) sofritas tofu and cashew queso, because yummy.
But more than a recipe, and more than its elements, the Crunchwrap is really just a method. A lifestyle, some might say.
Magic Green Sauce in the fridge? Corn? Pico? Roasted vegetables? Fajita filling? Use it. Use it all. This is pretty much a universal, open-invite party. I fully endorse the sofritas / cashew queso combo (which is what I’m showing you here!), but I’m not going to die on that hill for those who have their own filling ideas. You do you – just follow the Crunchwrap method.
How To Make a Vegan Crunchwrap
Here we go. Lezz break this Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme into a five-step situation.
First, put all your “base” stuff on the tortilla.
In this case, we used sofritas tofu, beans, and cashew queso. But this would also be the time for rice, roasted cauliflower or sweet potato, any other meat or meat alternative, etc.
Next up: your crunch.
Tostadas are easy and convenient. Doritos and Hot Cheetos are much more trashy and arguably more exciting, though both are not plant-based options.
Now we do the fresh stuff – lettuce, tomato, jalapeno, marinated cabbage, cilantro, etc.
I like the finish this layer with something sticky or creamy to help the top tortilla hold (for example, avocado).
Place a smaller tortilla on top to avoid spillage.
Get foldin. Basically you want to pull the edges in towards the center, one over the other.
Hit up the skillet. Add a little oil or butter for good measure. Go for that crispy golden brown.
And now crack it open and eat it.
And no one will fault you for adding extra cashew queso over the top or, let’s be real, just straight up DUNKING it.
I can’t even. These are so good. Please make them. Everyone deserves this kind of vegan crunchwrap love in their lives.
You can see the original beefy-cheesy-yummy Crunchwrap Supreme recipe here.
If you want a tofu-free version of a vegan crunchwrap, check out our friend Beth’s vegan crunchwrap recipe!
Watch How To Make Our Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme:
This vegan crunchwrap is INSANE! You can stuff this bad boy with whatever you like – I made it with sofritas tofu and cashew queso. SO GOOD! Favorite vegan recipe to date.
Spicy Sofritas Tofu
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu (press out some liquid first)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (add about 1 teaspoon salt if it’s unsalted)
- 2 chipotle peppers, minced
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can diced green chiles (or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning (add a pinch of salt if it’s unsalted)
- huge burrito-sized flour tortillas
- something crunchy: tostadas or tortilla chips
- roasted vegetables
- black beans
- fresh stuff: tomatoes, cabbage slaw, lettuce, cilantro
- Sofritas Tofu: Heat oil over medium high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add tofu and break apart into crumbles. Add taco seasoning, salt, chipotles, and salsa. Get it all going in the pan, nice and hot. Finish by letting everything sit without stirring for another 10+ minutes (adding oil to prevent sticking as needed) until you get some nice browned, almost-crunchy pieces.
- Cashew Queso: Blend everything together aggressively until smooth!
- Crunch Wrap Time: Lay a large tortilla on a flat surface. Layer: tofu, queso, crunchy stuff, and any other extras you want in there. Fold in the edges of the tortilla toward the center. Place in a hot oiled skillet, seam side down. Cook for a few minutes on each side until the exterior is firm, crunchy, and golden brown. Cut and serve!
FOR REGULAR SIZE CRUNCHWRAPS: Keep your filling amounts minimal. It is very common to run into the issue of overflow, in which case, you can a) reduce filling amounts, b) fold it up as-is and hope for the best – I found even half-closed crunchwraps still grilled up nicely, c) break your tostadas into smaller pieces to allow you more space, or d) make a MEGA CRUNCHWRAP. See next note.
FOR MEGA CRUNCHWRAPS (this is what I demonstrated in the post): Cut a few of the large flour tortillas so they are the same size as your tostadas. Then, once you’ve layered all ingredients, just place a small flour cutout tortilla on top and fold edges over that. This should buy you a little extra space for filling.
FOR MARINATED CABBAGE: I just tossed some thinly chopped cabbage with olive oil, salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: vegan crunchewrap, sofritas crunchwrap, vegetarian crunchwrap
Time To Show You Off!
Tag @pinchofyum on Instagram for a chance to be featured
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our best sandwiches, burgers, and wraps page. Check it out!