Truly incredible Vegan Mac and Cheese is ready for you! Silky cheese sauce, made with plant-based milk and nutritional yeast, is poured over macaroni noodles and comes together with creamy plant butter. It’s luscious!
The “Cheese” Powder:
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric and paprika (for color)
- 1/2 box elbow macaroni pasta
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk are my favorites)
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy butter
- teensy squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- “Cheese” powder: Blend all cheese powder ingredients until you get a fine powder, about 30 seconds. Store this powder in a jar and this will be enough powder to make 3-4 future batches of vegan mac and cheese for ya!
- Noodles: Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- “Cheese” Sauce Magic: Pour milk + 3 tablespoons powder into a small saucepan. Whisk thoroughly and gently bring to a slow simmer until you are looking at a creamy, “cheesy” sauce.
- Finish and Delight: Combine cheese sauce and cooked macaroni. Stir in your knob of butter. Finish to taste – I like just a tiny squeeze of lemon juice (not enough to taste like lemon, but just enough to wake the whole thing up), plus some freshly cracked black pepper. So creamy, so “cheesy”, so yum.
Instant Pot instructions: Add macaroni, 1 1/2 cups of water, and a pinch of salt to the Instant Pot. Cook for 3 minutes on high pressure. Use the Quick Release function to release the steam. Uncover and add in 1/2 cup non-dairy milk, 3 tablespoons of “cheese” powder, non-dairy butter, and stir. If the macaroni seems too liquidy, let the macaroni cook for a minute on the Sauté function until it begins to boil. Press cancel and give it a good stir. The macaroni will thicken as it sits. If the macaroni needs more milk, add in 1/4 cup at a time.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese, vegan pasta, vegan cheese