These are really the very best Chocolate Cookies! Thick, soft-centered, and crispy-edged. All your basic cookie ingredients here plus dark cocoa powder and ground cardamom to make things extra festive!
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1–2 tablespoons espresso powder (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Extra sugar for rolling
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy and light. Add eggs and vanilla, mixing gently until just combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined into a soft dough.
- Form into balls (about ¼ cup per cookie / ball). Roll each ball in the extra sugar (mixed with cardamom, if you want). Bake for 10-12 minutes (I recommend 6-8 at a time on the baking sheet, so you’ll need to bake in batches). Remove from oven and let them rest – you want the cookies settle down a bit and give you crisped edges with thicker, soft-baked centers.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate cookies, chocolate cardamom cookies, cookie recipe