This wild rice flatbread is made with less than 5 ingredients: wild rice, egg whites, and flax. It’s super simple, versatile, and healthy.
- 2 cups cooked wild rice (or “instant” wild rice, wild rice blend, etc)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbs. flaxseed meal
- seasoning (I recommend a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to spice it up!)
- 1/2 tbs. olive oil + salt + pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425. Grease a heavy skillet* (cast-iron works well) with olive oil. Spread it with a spatula or spoon so that the bottom and sides are well covered.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until you have a batter-like consistency (about 30 seconds).
- Pour mixture into the preoiled pan. Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven. Using a spatula, flip the flatbread over and bake for another 15 minutes.**
- Check doneness and bake for another 5 minutes if needed. You’ll know when it’s done because it starts to pull away from the sides of the pan. Remove from oven, cool, cut, and serve!
*If you don’t have one that’s at least 10 inches in diameter, I would bake it in 2 batches.
**This is the most tricky part. I found it helpful to loosen the flatbread first, then hold the skillet handle in one (oven-mitted) hand, and place a clean towel over my other hand. Then I flipped the skillet over, holding my clean towel hand flat against the flatbread. This seemed to give me more control and kept the flatbread all in one piece!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: wild rice flatbread, flatbread, wild rice