Egg Roll in a Bowl! Ground pork browned with garlic and ginger, sautéed carrots and cabbage cooked down in some soy sauce and chili paste, a nice little heap of hot rice. YUM.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 knob of ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- chili paste to taste
- 1 pound ground pork
- 5–6 cups shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 3 large carrots, diagonally sliced
- Rice and green onions for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant.
- Add the five-spice, soy sauce, chili paste, and pork. Break apart until the meat is browned and cooked through.
- Add the coleslaw mix and carrots. Toss until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Serve over rice, with green onions and Sriracha if you like that kinda thing. (I do.)
Five-Spice: You can make this recipe without it, but I LOVE the flavor that it adds. There’s a little bit of anise in there, and to me, this is what makes it taste like a real egg roll!
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Asian-Inspired
Keywords: egg roll in a bowl, egg roll, deconstructed egg roll