If you must know, my favorite lunches lately involve ground pork browned with garlic and ginger, sautéed carrots and cabbage cooked down in some soy sauce and chili paste, a nice little heap of hot rice, a dusting of Chinese five-spice.
Yes, meet The Egg Roll Bowl. I made them, and loved them, and now make them regularly for meal prep. But really, this one is all you guys!
I asked a few months into my maternity leave this fall what your favorite easy recipes were, and SO MANY OF YOU said Egg Roll Bowls!
To which I said: mmmk what the heck is an Egg Roll Bowl?!
To which the internet said: seasoned ground pork and veggies and… kind of whatever else you want… in a bowl. Like an egg roll, but without the wrapper.
And when I realized how
- Low carb
- Straight up DELICIOUS
these were, I was all over it.
The fact that you can buy a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw (sans sauce) and toss it in the pan with your pork, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce and pretty much have this meal, like, completely done? it’s a game changer.
You know I love fast and easy when it comes to meal prep, so all aboard, because this egg roll train is speedy fast.
Two final notes.
- Chinese five spice. A new ingredient for us here at POY, but in my opinion, it is worth adding a bottle of this to your spice cabinet even if it is solely for this recipe. I find that a little dash takes this from generic-stir-fry to LEGIT EGG ROLL BOWL. You’re gonna add it, and you’re gonna taste it, and you’re gonna say, yep. There it is. There’s the egg roll taste I’m looking for.
- If you fry up some wonton wrappers and stick them in the bowl to be a little extra, I might propose to you.
Check out our video for how to make an Egg Roll in a Bowl:
Egg Roll in a Bowl! Ground pork browned with garlic and ginger, sautéed carrots and cabbage cooked down in some soy sauce and chili paste, a nice little heap of hot rice. YUM.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 knob of ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 pound ground pork
- 5–6 cups shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 3 large carrots, diagonally sliced
- Rice and green onions for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant.
- Add the five-spice, soy sauce, and pork. Break apart until the meat is browned and cooked through.
- Add the coleslaw mix and carrots. Toss until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Serve over rice, with green onions and Sriracha if you like that kinda thing. (I do.)
Five-Spice: You can make this recipe without it, but I LOVE the flavor that it adds. There’s a little bit of anise in there, and to me, this is what makes it taste like a real egg roll!
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Asian-Inspired