Rich and savory Arroz Con Pollo with delicious tomato flavor, juicy chicken, tender rice, lots of herbs and spices, plenty of lime juice, and a handful of jalapeño-stuffed green olives. Bright and spicy and comforting!
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- one 12-ounce bottle light beer
- one 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
- one 12-ounce jar green olives (I LOVE jalapeño stuffed green olives for this!)
- a handful of chopped fresh cilantro
- a few squeezes of lime juice
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven. Add the chicken, season with 1 teaspoon of salt, and cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping once, until cooked through. Remove from the pan. When cooled, roughly chop or shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Turn the heat down on the pan. Add the garlic, shallot, jalapeño, and pepper to the same pan. Sauté until soft and fragrant, scraping the browned bits off the bottom, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the tomato paste, spices, thyme, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt; sauté for 2-3 minutes, until deep red.
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees. Add beer; simmer and let it reduce for a few minutes. Add canned tomatoes, broth, and bay leaf; bring to a low simmer.
- Stir in chicken and rice; bring to a low simmer. Cover with a lid and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and fluff with a fork. Stir in olives, cilantro, and lime juice. Season to taste and ENJOY your masterpiece!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Latin American
Keywords: arroz con pollo, chicken and rice, dutch oven recipe, comfort food