This healthy butternut squash mac and cheese has caramelized onions, crispy bacon, and fresh sweet apples. It’s my go-to comfort food!
- 1/2 box whole grain elbow macaroni (about 2.5 cups dry)
- 1 cup canned butternut squash puree
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 oz low fat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup onions, sliced thinly
- 1 large crispy apple, chopped or grated
- 4 tablespoons crumbled bacon
- Heat butter in a skillet over low heat. When melted, add onions and let caramelize for at least 30 minutes for the best flavor. Keep heat on low/low-medium.
- Cook the pasta according to directions. Drain and return to pan over low heat. Add butternut squash, chicken broth, evaporated milk, and cream cheese. When combined, add in salt.
- Add onions and apples to the pasta. Stir to combine and add a tablespoon more broth or milk if needed.
- Just before serving, mix in cheese and stir until melted. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon bacon.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy butternut squash mac and cheese, healthy mac and cheese, squash mac and cheese