A 5-ingredient stacked enchilada casserole layered with tortillas, beans, and chicken and covered with cheese and enchilada sauce.
- 2–3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 ½ cups enchilada sauce (store bought or homemade)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 6–8 small flour tortillas (corn works too)
- 1 can refried beans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place a few spoonfuls of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a glass square baking dish (mine was 9×9) to prevent sticking.
- Place 2 tortillas in the bottom of the dish, overlapping to cover the entire surface.
- Layer the beans, chicken, cheese, sauce, and tortillas; repeat once to make a total of 2 layers. (For me this was about 1/3 cup refried beans, 1 cup of the chicken, ½ cup cheese, and about 3/4 cup enchilada sauce in each layer.)
- Cover the top with the remaining enchilada sauce and 1 cup cheese. Cover the baking dish with well-oiled aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is starting to brown and sauce is bubbling.
- Allow to rest for at least 15 minutes so it can firm up a bit before cutting and serving. Top with cilantro, lime, sour cream, or avocado.
To get each layer completely covered with tortillas, I cut 2 additional tortillas into fourths and used them to cover the corners. This is not necessary but it helps when you layer your ingredients.
My favorite refried beans are Amy’s Refried Black Beans!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: enchilada recipe, enchilada casserole, casserole, chicken enchiladas, enchilada sauce