This classic bean burgers recipe is made with pinto beans, almonds, and sunflower seeds for a perfectly textured meatless burger.
- 1/3 cup red onion (about 1/2 onion)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans
- Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- Peel the 5 garlic cloves. In the bowl of a food processor, add 1/2 red onion and garlic and process until finely chopped. (If no food processor, chop finely with a knife.)
- Add 1/2 cup almonds, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, 1 teaspoon hot chili powder, 1 teaspoon olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a good amount of fresh ground pepper. Pulse 10 to 15 times until the mixture is coarsely chopped. (If no food processor, coarsely chop the almonds, sunflower seeds, and cilantro, and combine with the other ingredients.)
- Drain and rinse the beans. In a medium bowl, mash the beans with a potato masher. Stir in the ingredients from the steps above, and add 1/2 cup bread crumbs. Mix together with your hands; taste and add more salt if desired.
- Form the mixture into four patties. Place on a grill and grill for 6 to 8 minutes per side, depending on the heat of the grill. Or, bake them in a 450°F oven for 30 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes.
- Top with toppings of your choice, and enjoy!
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 300
Keywords: black bean burgers, healthy black bean burgers, vegetarian black bean burgers