Coconut Curry Ramen with a creamy golden broth, pan-fried vegetables, cubes of golden brown tofu, and steamy delicious ramen noodles. Bonus: it’s vegan!
- one 14-ounce package extra firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- drizzle of oil and soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
Coconut Curry Ramen:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms (2-3 cups sliced)
- 2 bok choy, chopped (2–3 cups chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- one 1-inch piece of peeled fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 6–8 oz. ramen noodles (see notes)
- one 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- squeeze of lime juice
Optional Finishing Touches:
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek chili paste
- 1 stalk of a green onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Tofu: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Press some / most of the water out of the tofu. Cut into cubes. Toss gently in a bowl with the cornstarch until coated. Drizzle with oil and soy sauce. Transfer to baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden and crispy. Toss with a little bit of hoisin sauce.
- Chopping: While tofu bakes, chop the veggies.
- Vegetables: Heat the oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and bok choy. Saute for 3-5 minutes, until soft. Add garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Saute for 3-5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Noodles: Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Add ramen noodles and simmer until cooked (usually takes 3-4 minutes). Add coconut milk. Season with salt and lime juice.
- Finish: Serve ramen and broth in bowls, topped with tofu, sesame oil, sesame seeds, green onions… you get the idea. Grab your chopsticks and Go. To. Town.
Ramen Noodles: You can use the classic packaged ramen (noodles only, without the seasoning packet). OR these are our favorite ramen noodles that are pictured in the recipe. SO GOOD.
This will keep as leftovers, but the ramen noodles will soak up quite a bit of the liquid, so you may need to add some water or broth to thin it back out.
Noodle amount: I prefer 6 ounces because I like a pretty good veg-to-noodle ratio. But if you want more noodles, go with the full 8-9 ounces (depending on your package) and just add a bit more liquid.
Substitutions: Shiitake mushrooms have the best flavor for this, but the more regular button mushrooms work, too. And bok choy can be replaced with spinach or other greens.
Tofu Pro Tip: If you want that reeeally golden brown look, toss your hoisin-ed tofu into a skillet and pan-fry for a few minutes to get it extra browned. Totally optional, but very pretty.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Thai-Inspired
Keywords: coconut curry ramen, ramen soup, ramen recipe