Egg Waffles with Romesco and Goat Cheese! Light puffy scrambled eggs loaded with lots of cheese, veggies, bacon (if you want), romesco sauce, and any other toppings you can imagine.
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups frozen hashbrowns (or just a grated potato works, too)
- 1/4 cup bacon or pancetta or cooked sausage (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (see FAQs for more cheese options)
- a few shakes of garlic powder
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup spinach, torn or cut into small pieces (optional)
- 2 ounces of cheddar cheese to put on top (for extra cheesy-golden-brown spots)
Peppers and Garlic Confit:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. mini sweet peppers, sliced into rings
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced into thin pieces
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Egg Waffle Toppings:
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup romesco sauce (store-bought – see notes – or homemade)
- 2 tablespoons chives
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Prepare your peppers and garlic confit. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers and sauté until brown and very soft, stirring only occasionally so you get some nice browning on them. I usually cook them for 20-30 minutes. During the last 10-15 minutes, add in the garlic with the peppers to get it nice and golden and soft (just make sure you don’t burn it). During the last 5 minutes, add the vinegar to add some zip and pull up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Mix the base ingredients together for your egg waffles.
- Pour about 1/2-3/4 cup onto a nonstick waffle maker (affiliate link) (depending on the size of yours). I usually spray mine with cooking spray, but that isn’t always necessary if the nonstick is really good.
- Place the cheese chunks on top and put the lid down. When the light goes off to signal that it’s done, check that the eggs are cooked, veggies are soft, and cheese is golden on top. Remove carefully to a plate. (Mine is usually golden with soft veggies in just 1-2 minutes, but if yours isn’t done yet, just flip it or give it another minute.)
- Top with all your toppings! I like goat cheese and peppers and garlic confit, romesco, avocado, chives, and lots of salt and pepper. My little girls like ketchup. We all win!
Store-bought romesco sauce: You can find pre-made romesco sauce at stores like Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. We’ve seen it in containers or pouches on shelves. Sometimes it’ll also be located near refrigerated sauces.
Mexican-inspired variation: black beans, Mexican-style cheese, avocado, sour cream, salsa
Broccoli-cheese variation: cooked rice, minced cooked broccoli, bacon, cheese, garlic, and onion powder
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Maker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: egg waffle, egg recipe, chaffle recipe