Instant Pot Short Rib Ragu! Ready in an hour. AMAZING on gnocchi, pasta, polenta, rice, potatoes, and more.
- 2 lbs bone-in short ribs (or 1 lb boneless)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 25-oz jar store bought marinara/spaghetti sauce (I use DeLallo tomato basil sauce)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Get ready: Turn instant pot on to the sauté setting. While it heats up, trim any excess fat from the short ribs, then pat dry with a paper towel. Generously season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Brown those short ribs: Add oil to the Instant Pot. Add the short ribs to the hot oil and sear on all sides until brown. (The meat does not need to be fully cooked. Just browned.) Remove from pot and set aside.
- Onions, garlic, and wine: Use tongs & paper towel to remove any excess oil from the pot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Pour wine in to deglaze (*sizzzles*) and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Go-time: Add short ribs, tomato sauce, salt and crushed red pepper to pot. Use 1/2 cup water to rinse out sauce jar and add to pot. Set Instant Pot to the stew/meat setting (35 mins). When it’s done, let it sit untouched for a natural steam release.
- Finish up: Remove meat to sheet pan. Shred into bite size pieces, removing bones and any large pieces of fat. Meanwhile, set the Instant Pot to sauté again to reduce/thicken the sauce. Skim any fat off top of sauce and add meat back in. Taste and add salt & pepper if needed. Yummmo!
Slow Cooker Instructions: Do steps 1-3 in a pan on the stove, and cook everything in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
Initially, the meat will stick to the stainless surface of the Instant Pot, but once it’s got a nice sear on it, it should release pretty easily.
If you make this ahead of time and store it in the fridge, a lot of the fat will rise to the top and turn solid. This makes it easy to remove.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: instant pot short rib ragu, short rib ragu, ragu