Short Rib Ragu?! Who am I right now, making SHORT RIBS?
I am a pillowy-gnocchi-loving-pasta-eater, that’s who.
Carbs 100% dictate my life, and my current carbs wanted short rib ragu.
Did you know that short rib ragu is so good, end of story, but also not end of story because it just takes pasta to a whole nother level? Saucy, tangy, and just so tender and luscious all at the same time? This was a new discovery for me.
As a less-savvy meat cooker (<- this is who you’re dealing with), I was a little intimidated by making short rib ragu. But then I remembered how we had this at our dinner club all those years ago, and I remembered how good it was with our tiny pillows of homemade gnocchi, and then I got brave with it because a) Instant Pot, and b) food motivation.
So that’s what’s happening today – short ribs, short cut, Instant Pot, RAGU!
Starting with the short ribs. We’re starting with the saute function on the Instant Pot to get a nice browning on the short ribs.
How To Make Our Short Rib Ragu (1 Min):
Okay, then something magical happens.
You have all the browned bits in the bottom of the pan, right? So you throw some onions and garlic in, and you start working those browned bits off into your sauce. Oh my gosh, YES.
Did I already talk about magic?
There’s more magic.
A splash of red wine pulls all your browned bits, sauteed onions, garlic, and spices into something so good that it should be illegal.
Now the shortcut part. Add your short ribs back in with a jar of your favorite tomato sauce (we almost always use DeLallo at our house because TRUE FLAVOR and NO ADDED SUGARS).
And now the Instant Pot gets to work.
One hour later? This is what is sitting in front of your face.
You are your own favorite person right now for making this happen.
Instant Pot Short Rib Ragu, guys. It’s a little short-cut-y, a little weeknight-friendly, and MEGA DELICIOUS.
Put this on anything – rice, potatoes, polenta, pappardelle or penne, maybe some baked rigatoni? But also, stand by because there is a homemade gnocchi tutorial coming soon, and I have to say, those little dumplings from heaven are kind of my favorite.Print
Instant Pot Short Rib Ragu! Ready in an hour. AMAZING on gnocchi, pasta, polenta, rice, potatoes, and more.
- 2 lbs bone-in short ribs (or 1 lb boneless)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 25-oz jar store bought marinara/spaghetti sauce (I use DeLallo tomato basil sauce)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Get ready: Turn instant pot on to the sauté setting. While it heats up, trim any excess fat from the short ribs, then pat dry with a paper towel. Generously season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Brown those short ribs: Add oil to the Instant Pot. Add the short ribs to the hot oil and sear on all sides until brown. (The meat does not need to be fully cooked. Just browned.) Remove from pot and set aside.
- Onions, garlic, and wine: Use tongs & paper towel to remove any excess oil from the pot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Pour wine in to deglaze (*sizzzles*) and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Go-time: Add short ribs, tomato sauce, salt and crushed red pepper to pot. Use 1/2 cup water to rinse out sauce jar and add to pot. Set Instant Pot to the stew/meat setting (35 mins). When it’s done, let it sit untouched for a natural steam release.
- Finish up: Remove meat to sheet pan. Shred into bite size pieces, removing bones and any large pieces of fat. Meanwhile, set the Instant Pot to sauté again to reduce/thicken the sauce. Skim any fat off top of sauce and add meat back in. Taste and add salt & pepper if needed. Yummmo!
Slow Cooker Instructions: Do steps 1-3 in a pan on the stove, and cook everything in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
Initially, the meat will stick to the stainless surface of the Instant Pot, but once it’s got a nice sear on it, it should release pretty easily.
If you make this ahead of time and store it in the fridge, a lot of the fat will rise to the top and turn solid. This makes it easy to remove.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: instant pot short rib ragu, short rib ragu, ragu
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our best Instant Pot recipes page. Check it out!