We’re making cozy Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup and it’s everything! Packed with mushrooms, carrots, celery, wild rice, cream, and seasonings. It’s so creamy, so cozy, and perfect for a night in.
For the Instant Pot:
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- half of an onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice (see notes)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
For the Stovetop:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- Instant Pot: Put all the ingredients in the first list into the Instant Pot*. Cook for 45 minutes (manual, high pressure). Release steam using the valve on top.
- Stovetop: When the soup is done, melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour. Let the mixture cook for a minute or two to remove the floury taste. Whisk the milk, a little bit at a time, until you have a smooth, thickened sauce. Throw a little salt in there for good measure.
- Together: Mix the creamy sauce with the soup in the instant pot. Voila! Mushroom Wild Rice Soup.
A note about wild rice: Please use actual wild rice*! I know it’s on the expensive side, and hard to find, and I’m normally all about the substitutions, but in this case, it is not the same. Don’t use brown rice, don’t use white rice, and don’t use a wild rice blend, which is just white or brown rice with a few flecks of wild rice. Use straight WILD RICE.
Crockpot version: Check out this recipe. Stovetop version: Saute carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and mushrooms with oil. Add wild rice, broth, and salt. Simmer until wild rice is cooked (1-2 hours). Make the roux and mix it in.
Freezer Meal Version
- Freeze Together:
3 cups mirepoix, fresh or frozen
8 ounces mushrooms, fresh or frozen
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked wild rice
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 lb. chicken breasts (optional)
- Instant Pot Instructions: High pressure 30 mins + 10 mins natural release
- Slow Cooker Instructions: High setting 4 hours (thaw first if using chicken)
- Final Step: Melt 6 tbsp butter in a pan, whisk in 1/2 cup flour, whisk in 1 1/2 cups milk until creamy and thick. Add to the soup.
- Check out our full freezer meal posts with all recipes and instructions here!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot wild rice soup, wild rice soup, vegetarian wild rice soup, wild rice, mushroom wild rice soup