Wild Rice Soup in the Instant Pot! So creamy and simple and ready in an hour. Perfect for fall/winter nights!
For the Instant Pot:
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- half of an onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice (see notes)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
For the Stovetop:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- Instant Pot: Put all the ingredients in the first list into the Instant Pot (affiliate link). Cook for 45 minutes (manual, high pressure). Release steam using the valve on top.
- Stovetop: When the soup is done, melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour. Let the mixture cook for a minute or two to remove the floury taste. Whisk the milk, a little bit at a time, until you have a smooth, thickened sauce. Throw a little salt in there for good measure.
- Together: Mix the creamy sauce with the soup in the instant pot. Voila! Mushroom Wild Rice Soup.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!
Cook Time: If you’re short on time, 30 minutes should do the trick as well!
Please use actual wild rice! (affiliate link) I know it’s on the expensive side, and hard to find, and I’m normally all about the substitutions, but in this case, it is not the same. Don’t use brown rice, don’t use white rice, and don’t use a “wild rice blend” which is just white or brown rice with a few flecks of wild rice. Use straight WILD RICE. Chicken can be added – just pop it in the instant pot with everything else and shred it when it’s done. Poultry seasoning is usually a mix of thyme, sage, garlic, onion, etc. I used a “chicken grilling spice” in one of my test batches and it tasted great. Anything with those earthy spices – thyme, sage, maybe even rosemary – will work nicely. Crockpot version: Check out this recipe. Stovetop version: Saute carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and mushrooms with oil. Add wild rice, broth, and salt. Simmer until wild rice is cooked (1-2 hours). Make the roux and mix it in.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot wild rice soup, wild rice soup, vegetarian wild rice soup, wild rice, mushroom wild rice soup