This Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup is so darn simple to make and goes perfectly with a piece of crusty bread on a cold winter night.
I adore this soup.
It’s not really a secret because a) I’m from Minnesota, the homeland of things like creamy delicious Wild Rice Soup, b) I’ve only posted it at least seventeen other times on the blog, and c) WILD RICE.
So this time the thing that makes it special is the Crockpot. This is Chicken Wild Rice Soup meets Chicken Bacon Wild Rice Soup mashing up into Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup. Translation: life just got easy and I’m going to go watch Breaking Bad now while my dinner cooks in a large kitchen appliance without my supervision thank you very much.
By the way, I don’t watch Breaking Bad yet but I’m 99% sure that I’m going to start today. Yay or nay?
This is a perfect meal for the current state of our new kitchen. I want to tell you about our new kitchen in our new house, which I feel like I should mention is a foreclosure. So give her some extra compassion, okay?
- It’s, um, how do I say this? Small.
- Small = less stuff = maybe even a little bit freeing.
- Small = less distance to walk to get to things and fewer places to clean. Just saying.
- It has a real live window and I have my photography table set up in the kitchen. Never before, guys. THIS IS AMAZING.
- It has a jumbo, awkward, 1980’s fridge and I bump into it at least eighty times a day.
- The stove is gas. It says the word CALORIC on the panel. So thanks for that.
- It has a window. Actually, two. Did I already say that? Hiphiphooray!
- It has a big sink that holds lots of dirty dishes and keeps them out of sight.
- It has a non-functional garbage disposal. Oh well?
- It is begging for a remodel. We are in the fun planning phase where we make 3D blueprints to see what it will look like when we knock the ol’ kitchen wall down and make it my small dream kitchen. ♥
This Soup Is So Easy To Make
Back on topic. I was saying that this is perfect for the current state of our small kitchen because we don’t have everything all in order just yet. For example, I burned the Thanksgiving corn pudding because my oven was playing tricks on me, and no, it had nothing to do with Bjork hearing 475 instead of 425. And for another example, I keep forgetting boxes of kitchen stuff at our other house so I made frosting yesterday with a whisk attached to a drill. A DRILL. oh my gosh, I mean, really. What are we coming to?
But when everything else is chaotic, my steady and true Crockpot friend gives some stability and cooks us the coziest, most comforting dinner while I’m at work and making yet another run to the old house for the box with the hand mixer in it.
Crusty bread, this piping hot soup in a large bowl, and extra time on your hands. TIS THE SEASON FOR THAT.
Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup: FAQs
The poultry seasoning is a mix of several things, including thyme and sage. Even though it’s only a teaspoon, do not omit this because it adds a lot of the flavor. If you don’t have any, just use any other herb seasonings that you like. Thyme and sage are the best in my opinion.
Absolutely! Check out our mushroom version of this recipe here.
Add your wild rice, chicken, seasonings, veggies, and broth to the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 30-40 minutes with a quick release once the soup finishes cooking. Shred the chicken in the Instant Pot. Make your roux on the stovetop with butter, milk, and flour. Whisk it up and add it to your Instant Pot with the rest of the soup. Stir to combine and enjoy!
Prefer To Watch Instead Of Read?
This Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup is so darn simple to make. Chicken, carrots, celery, onion, wild rice, seasonings, and cream. Pair with a piece of crusty bread on a cold night for the perfect meal!
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 2 cups mirepoix (chopped celery, carrots, and onions)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- a few tablespoons white wine (optional)
- up to 2 cups additional milk or water
- Rinse the wild rice. Place the uncooked wild rice, raw chicken, mirepoix, chicken broth, and poultry seasoning in a crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. The chicken should be cooked through and the rice should be soft. There will be extra liquid in the crockpot; do not drain.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and allow to cool slightly. Using two forks, shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to the crockpot.
- When rice and chicken are done cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and let the mixture bubble for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the whole milk until a thick, creamy mixture forms. Stir in the wine.
- Add this to the rice and chicken in the crockpot and stir to combine. Add extra water or milk to adjust the consistency as you like it. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crockpot wild rice soup, chicken wild rice soup, wild rice soup
More Cozy Soups To Make ASAP
- Lemon Chicken Soup with Orzo
- Crockpot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Healing Chicken and Rice Soup
- Jalapeño Lime Chicken Soup
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our all-star slow cooker recipes page. Check it out!