Some soups are really good for fall, and some soups are NEXT LEVEL fall soup material.
Jalapeño Lime Chicken Soup is casually coming to mind.
In my book, to be NEXT LEVEL fall soup material, you need to have a few things.
- really amazing flavor. like, big. flashy. kind of obnoxious in a good way. for example, jalapeño. and lime.
- unlimited, open-ended, can’t-be-stopped topping options. a little salty, a little crispy, a little cooling, calming, and fresh.
- a nice long simmer. windows open, candle burning, good house smells. it’s just necessary.
- reheat-ability, because we’re going back to work and school now and bringing our lunches like responsible adults, okay?
- the filling factor, as in must not be hungry within five minutes of eating it.
If you like spicy, big flavor. If you like topping options galore. If you like recipes that come together in a hot second.
YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PARTY.
The soup, in a nutshell, is a kickin’ family-friendly meal (except probably not for, like, infants? unless they like jalapeños?). It is full of awesome flavors that will change up your soup routine. Chicken, white beans, and a salty/spicy kick, but with a cool and refreshing broth to simmer it all down. Honestly, I am tempted to use the term flavor explosion right now.
I know, I know, we’ve all been stuck in that chicken wild rice soup rut for a good while, and while I do love that creamy goodness for its own comfort food vibes, it doesn’t have the energizing powers of this green goddess.
This is the one that will clear out your leftover head colds, make your eyes do the googly-pop thing, and give you a nice booty kick rev up your fall season.
One last note.
In Minnesooota, or maybe I should just say in my family, we’re not really known for loving spicy food. Jalapeño = just no. But in years past, this soup has been our extended family’s own holiday miracle: they’ve tried it and they’ve liked it.
And I scooped up all the leftovers with tortilla chips, and squeezed on extra lime juice please and thank you, and lived happily ever after.
How To Make Our JalapeñO Lime Chicken Soup In The Instant Pot:
This simple and healthy Jalapeño Lime Chicken Soup has white beans, salsa verde, and a hit of fresh jalapeño and lime juice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 jalapeños, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- half of a red onion, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (more as needed)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 14-ounce cans white beans, drained (canellini or great northern)
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa verde
- juice of 2 limes
- fresh cilantro, sour cream, and shredded cheese for serving
- In a soup pot over medium heat, saute the onion and jalapeno with the olive oil until soft and fragrant.
- Add the water and salt. Bring to a boil. Add the raw chicken breasts. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat, but leave the lid on so that the chicken continues cooking for another 20 minutes. Remove the chicken breasts, set aside to cool.
- Add the white beans and salsa to the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes over medium heat.
- Shred the chicken and add it back to the pot.
- Just before serving, squeeze the juice of one lime into the pot. Cut the remaining lime into wedges for serving. Add the salt; taste and adjust as needed. Serve with fresh cilantro, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
To remove any unwanted chicken fat in the broth after Step 2, pour the liquid through a fine sieve, reserving the liquid. Return the liquid to the pot over medium heat. You can also do this by just scraping across the top to remove any chicken fat.
This is also delicious served with white rice IN it, or as a side. It helps offset the spiciness.
Instant Pot: Place jalapeños, red onion, water, salt, chicken, beans, and salsa verde in Instant Pot and cook on soup setting for 10 minutes with a quick release. Shred chicken and squeeze juice of 1 lime into the soup. Serve with fresh cilantro, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: jalapeno lime chicken soup, chicken soup, jalapeno soup
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our best healthy chicken recipes page. Check it out!