This simple and healthy Jalapeño Lime Chicken Soup has white beans, salsa verde, and a hit of fresh jalapeño and lime juice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 jalapeños, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- half of a red onion, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (more as needed)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 14-ounce cans white beans, drained (canellini or great northern)
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa verde
- juice of 2 limes
- fresh cilantro, sour cream, and shredded cheese for serving
- In a soup pot over medium heat, saute the onion and jalapeno with the olive oil until soft and fragrant.
- Add the water and salt. Bring to a boil. Add the raw chicken breasts. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat, but leave the lid on so that the chicken continues cooking for another 20 minutes. Remove the chicken breasts, set aside to cool.
- Add the white beans and salsa to the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes over medium heat.
- Shred the chicken and add it back to the pot.
- Just before serving, squeeze the juice of one lime into the pot. Cut the remaining lime into wedges for serving. Add the salt; taste and adjust as needed. Serve with fresh cilantro, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
To remove any unwanted chicken fat in the broth after Step 2, pour the liquid through a fine sieve, reserving the liquid. Return the liquid to the pot over medium heat. You can also do this by just scraping across the top to remove any chicken fat.
This is also delicious served with white rice IN it, or as a side. It helps offset the spiciness.
Instant Pot: Place jalapeños, red onion, water, salt, chicken, beans, and salsa verde in Instant Pot and cook on soup setting for 10 minutes with a quick release. Shred chicken and squeeze juice of 1 lime into the soup. Serve with fresh cilantro, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: jalapeno lime chicken soup, chicken soup, jalapeno soup