Pomegranate, Kale, and Wild Rice Salad, with walnuts and Feta cheese and a simple homemade dressing. So healthy, so good!
For the salad
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups chopped baby kale
- 2 cups cooked wild rice (you can use leftover rice or buy precooked)
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (omit for vegans)
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup minced onion or shallot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons honey (sub agave for vegans)
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 squeeze lemon or orange juice
- Prep the salad ingredients (chop, rinse, toast, etc). Chill the ingredients in the fridge while you’re making the dressing if you want a cold salad.
- Mince the shallot or onion and saute in 1/2 tablespoons olive oil to reduce the bite. When soft and fragrant, remove from heat and transfer to a food processor. (If you want a stronger flavor for your dressing, skip the sauteing altogether. The shallot in particular works well for this.)
- Pulse the onions or shallot with the remaining olive oil, water, honey, apple cider vinegar, salt, and orange juice until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust. Add additional olive oil or water to keep the mixture moving through the food processor.
- Toss the salad ingredients together with the dressing just before serving. I prefer to serve this at room temperature or chilled slightly.