Red curry lentils is my all-time favorite lentil recipe. Thick, creamy, saucy, and perfect as leftovers. Plus it’s healthy and easy!
- 1 1/2 cups lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- a few good shakes of cayenne pepper
- 1 14-ounce can tomato puree
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or cream
- cilantro for garnishing
- rice for serving
- Cook the lentils according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes until fragrant and golden. Add all the spices (curry paste, garam masala, curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, sugar, garlic, ginger) and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato puree; stir and simmer until smooth.
- Add the lentils and the cream. Stir to combine and simmer for another 15-20 minutes (the longer, the better)! Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!
Even better the next day! For a vegan option, sub oil for butter.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: red curry lentils, curry lentils, indian lentils