Red Curry Lentils? Perfect, thick, creamy, saucy, healthy and easy.
I need you to know that this. is. YUMMY.
Like, when I’m teaching a math lesson and I remember this waiting for me in my lunchbox, I drool a little bit and then I can’t remember the difference between concave and convex polygons. Which, by the way, does anyone use those in real life? Sometimes I just wonder.
I’ve kind of had a fling with lentils lately. These guys, this one, and now the Red Curry Lentils? I can barely stand it. Cheap, healthy, versatile, and absolutely delicious. Do they have lentils in the Philippines? Please Lord.
Not sure if you like lentils? Well, you do. Today you are going to love lentils.
Just cook your lentils and toss them in up this spicy red curry sauce with sauteed onions and a shot of coconut milk. OH MY PERFECTLY SPICY GOODNESS. Spread ’em on soft warm garlic naan, eat ’em straight up cold out of the fridge, stir ’em up into a big bowl of rice, or shovel ’em into your face. And your spouse’s face, and your kids face, and your face again.
See? You love ’em.
Watch how to make our Red Curry Lentils (1 min):
Red curry lentils is my all-time favorite lentil recipe. Thick, creamy, saucy, and perfect as leftovers. Plus it’s healthy and easy!
- 1 1/2 cups lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- a few good shakes of cayenne pepper
- 1 14 ounce can tomato puree
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or cream
- cilantro for garnishing
- rice for serving
- Cook the lentils according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes until fragrant and golden. Add all the spices (curry paste, garam masala, curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, sugar, garlic, ginger) and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato puree; stir and simmer until smooth.
- Add the lentils and the cream. Stir to combine and simmer for another 15-20 minutes (the longer, the better)! Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.
Even better the next day!
For a vegan option, sub oil for butter.
If you are headed to make these right now, then you are excused.