Easy baked falafel at home in 30 minutes WITHOUT deep frying! Features lentils, herbs, garlic, lemon juice. Use in salads, sandwiches, healthy recipes.
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 huge handful (a cup or so) fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 huge handful (a cup or so) fresh parsley leaves and stems
- half a jalapeño (if you like spicy – leave ribs and seeds!)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1–2 cloves garlic
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1–2 tablespoons all purpose flour (sub a gluten free flour if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pulse all ingredients except flour in a food processor until combined. The mixture should form semi-dry crumbles that stick together when you press them.
- Stir in the flour – just one tablespoon at a time, until it’s just dry enough to handle. Form into 9 patties and bake for 18 minutes. Remove from oven and use in salads, sandwiches, bowls, etc. Refrigerate for a few days or freeze.
Traditional falafel is made with chickpeas. I used lentils here because I’m more likely to have lentils on hand at any given time. Also: because I LOVE lentils. I have not tried this recipe with chickpeas.
For the lentils, lean towards just barely cooked. That will give you a better texture than overly wet, heavy, and mushy lentils.
If you don’t have a jalapeño, use red pepper flakes for heat.
Nutrition information is for one falafel patty.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: falafel recipe, lentil falafel, baked falafel, lentil recipe