Spicy Sausage Rigatoni – my whole family LOVES this recipe! Real food ingredients like whole wheat rigatoni, San Marzano tomatoes, and red wine.
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter
- half of a yellow onion, minced
- 4 carrots, minced
- 12 ounces spicy Italian sausage (casings removed – just the ground meat)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup Barefoot Rich Red Blend
- 1 28 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, including their juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic or Italian dressing (optional)
- 1 lb. whole wheat rigatoni
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- Parmesan and parsley or basil for topping
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and carrots – saute for 10 minutes or so, until the vegetables are very soft.
- Add the ground sausage, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. When the sausage is fully cooked, add the wine to get the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomatoes and dressing – simmer for 10-20 minutes while the pasta is cooking.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. When draining, reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Combine the pasta, the sauce, and the reserved water and toss gently to combine. Transfer to a large serving dish and top with Parmesan and parsley or basil. Serve with more Barefoot Rich Red Blend!
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: spicy sausage rigatoni, sausage rigatoni, spicy rigatoni