The BEST Shrimp Tacos with Garlic Cilantro Lime Slaw – ready in about 30 minutes and loaded with flavor and texture. SO YUM!
Garlic Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup sour cream or full-fat Greek yogurt
Shrimp Taco Spice Mix:
- 2 teaspoons each chili powder and cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon each onion powder and garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Stuff for the Shrimp Tacos:
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 2–3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 8 small tortillas (corn or flour)
- avocados, Cotija cheese, and lime wedges for serving
- Sauce: Pulse all the sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender until mostly smooth.
- Slaw: Toss some of the sauce (not all) with the cabbage. We’ll use the leftover sauce to top the tacos.
- Shrimp: Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. Toss the shrimp in a small bowl with the spice mix to get it coated. Heat a drizzle of oil a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the shrimp to the hot pan and sauté for 5-8 minutes, flipping occasionally, until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Assembly: For the prettiest and easiest-to-eat assembly, go in this order: smashed avocado, slaw, and shrimp. Finish with Cotjia cheese, lime wedges, and extra sauce.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!
For those with extra time on their hands and a heart set on fried shrimp: the beer batter instructions in this recipe work for shrimp, too!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Mexican