THE BEST shrimp tacos loaded with avocado, spicy shrimp, and a homemade creamy lime slaw? HELLO YUMMY!
It’s almost hard to talk about these tacos, that’s how much I love them.
Affiliate links are marked with an asterisk! ♡
What we have going on here is delicious spice-loaded shrimp tucked in between smashed avocado and a cabbage slaw that is heavy with a homemade creamy lime sauce. Question: topped with crumbly, salty Cotija cheese, and wrapped in a corn tortilla with a wedge of lime squeezed over the top? Answer: Yes.
More cilantro. More lime. More avocado and spicy shrimp.
The world just seems so right.
In This Post: Everything You Need For Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- Watch How to Make Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- Ingredients for Garlic Cilantro Lime Sauce
- How to Cook Shrimp for Tacos
- What to Serve with These Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos: Frequently Asked Questions
Prefer To Watch Instead Of Read?
Ingredients For Garlic Cilantro Lime Sauce
Let’s talk more about the sauce for these shrimp tacos.
All you need is sour cream, lime juice, garlic, some herbs, and olive oil. Blitz it all up together and you’re in business.
We’re gonna toss it with some shredded cabbage (see above) and ALSO give these tacos a good shower on top. Because there is no such thing as too much sauce. Especially when it comes to tacos.
How To Cook Shrimp For Tacos
How to Prepare the Shrimp
It might give you the scaries but I’d recommend getting tail-on shrimp (fresh or frozen) and peel and devein them yourself. Don’t worry – it’s easier than you think.
Ways to Cook the Shrimp
These are made in a skillet, but if the sun is shining and the beer is cold and the grill is hot, then you do you and grill those shrimp! Might be best to get them on some skewers* for a much less frustrating grilling experience.
Beer-Battered Shrimp Tacos (YUM)
For those with extra time on their hands and a heart set on fried shrimp: the beer batter instructions in this recipe work for shrimp, too!
What To Serve with These Spicy Shrimp Tacos
Make it a feast! Here are some of our favorite recipes to make alongside these delicious little pockets of goodness.
- Elote Queso
- Pitcher Style Margaritas for a Crowd
- 2-Minute Creamy Avocado Dip
- Corn, Avocado, and Quinoa Salad with Marinated Tomatoes
These shrimp tacos are fast, easy, and give me something to look forward to at the end of the day.
For example: TV and tacos! Late-night work and tacos! Friends and tacos! Hanging out on the deck with the dog and tacos!
Everything is better with tacos.
Cheers to many warm-weather nights with tons and tons of shrimp tacos in your future!
PS. Okay, for people who are extra: these cute little taco holders* will make you feel like you’re at a restaurant and they are worth a browse, if you’re a taco accessory kind of a person (I am).
Spicy Shrimp Tacos: Frequently Asked Questions
You could use parsley, but it would definitely lend a different flavor.
3-4 days is ideal in a sealed container!
Feta cheese should work in its place.
The BEST Shrimp Tacos with Garlic Cilantro Lime Slaw – ready in about 30 minutes and loaded with flavor and texture. SO YUM!
Garlic Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup sour cream or full-fat Greek yogurt
Shrimp Taco Spice Mix:
- 2 teaspoons each chili powder and cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon each onion powder and garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Stuff for the Shrimp Tacos:
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 2–3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 8 small tortillas (corn or flour)
- avocados, Cotija cheese, and lime wedges for serving
- Sauce: Pulse all the sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender until mostly smooth.
- Slaw: Toss some of the sauce (not all) with the cabbage. We’ll use the leftover sauce to top the tacos.
- Shrimp: Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. Toss the shrimp in a small bowl with the spice mix to get it coated. Heat a drizzle of oil a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the shrimp to the hot pan and sauté for 5-8 minutes, flipping occasionally, until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Assembly: For the prettiest and easiest-to-eat assembly, go in this order: smashed avocado, slaw, and shrimp. Finish with Cotjia cheese, lime wedges, and extra sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: spicy shrimp tacos, shrimp taco recipe, garlic lime slaw
Tacos Forever! Here Are More Faves!
- Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos with Avocado Crema
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken Tacos with Jalapeño Ranch Slaw
Time To Show You Off!
More Of Our Best Taco Recipes To Try
This recipe is part of our 10 best taco recipes collection. Try them all!