I was putting off posting this because I want to look at those pictures of 10-Minute Peanut Butter Fudge pretty much forever.
Plus I don’t even like eggs. Totally serious.
But somehow in the last seven months I’ve turned into an egg salad eating machine.
The traditional welcome lunch (as in, always do it traditional, not culturally traditional) for visitors or adoptive families at the shelter is egg salad sandwiches with chips and mangoes. Maybe it’s because I’m so exhausted from, like, one minute of work in very hot heat, or maybe it’s because they’re an open invitation for layering salty chips onto my sandwich, but whatever it is, when I have those egg salad sandwiches in front of me I become insanely excited about those gross little things: eggs.
Good thing I ripped them apart instead of neatly slicing them, right?
Ok, maybe they’re not gross. They’re just kind of a weird food, though. You can eat them hard boiled, soft boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, plus they are essential to recipes like cookies and brownies. Is this a joke?
Not when this sandwich is staring me down from my lunch plate. That is no joking matter, friends.
And guess what? I’m being semi-healthy because I’m only using the egg whites. Hard boiled yolks? I just can’t do it. Plus they’re less healthy, and I never eat unhealthy. Ne-ver.
The best part about this little ol’ egg salad was all the flavor. A little sweetness from the world’s best mangoes (thank you Cebu), a spice punch from the curry, and the bite from the onions and red peppers – I hardly even knew there was egg in there.
I kept this one pretty light on the mayo because, well, if I’m being honest it’s because I only had Miracle Whip, and it would not have been okay to put more than a few tablespoons of that with my egg salad. But texturally, you really don’t need more than that. You could even go with less. Once you add the mango it gets all smooth and creamy and amazing, like egg salad magic or something.
Let me read your mind: You don’t like mango in your egg salad. As a person who doesn’t even like eggs to begin with, I get it.
Howeverrrr. I challenge you to rethink that opinion. The sweetness is the perfect contrast for the curry and red pepper and it all just begs for two big slices of soft wheat bread to be smooshed together between.
Finally, please add some cilantro in my honor.
Aw yeah. I like it.
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion (more or less to taste)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ¼ cup light mayo
- 1 mango, finely diced
- Hard boil the eggs by dropping them carefully into a pot of boiling water. Boil for 8 minutes, covered, and allow to cool. Peel the shells off and cut the eggs in half to remove the hardened yolk from the center. Finely chop the whites and set aside.
- Chop the red pepper and the onion as finely as you like - I prefer to chop them pretty small. Combine egg whites, vegetables, salt, curry, and mayo in a bowl. Stir until well combined. Season with pepper to taste.
- Stir the mango in with the egg salad just before serving.
PS. It’s this guy’s birthday!
I made him donuts this morning and still he said all the kids running up to him with their cards was the highlight of his day. Can you believe that?
- - eCookbook with our top 25 recipes
- - Email Updates for new recipes
- - Exclusive discounts on our products