Hola, amigos. Maybe we haven’t met in real life, but I shall soon be your amigo favorito if you should choose to make this delicious Nuevo Cubano Sandwich! Currently, my amigo favorito is my Panini Press for putting out possibly the best sandwich yet.
There are so many reasons to love Paninis.
Reason 186: There is usually some kind of delicious sauce on them. In this case, the “sauce” is actually a black bean puree. Not so nice to look at, but oh so nice to eat on the sandwich or by the spoonful! If you make nothing else, just give this puree a whirl and spread/dip/lick away!
Reason 58: You can put things on them that you wouldn’t normally put on a sandwich. In this case – juicy, sweet mango slices!
Reason 59: You can mask the quality of certain ingredients. Like underripe mangoes. Those juicy, sweet mango slices? They were absolutely firm, tart mango slices doctored up with a sprinkling of sugar.
Reason 149: Cheese. Cheese. Melted Cheese.
Reason 37: Panini crusts always seem to have just the perfect amount of golden buttery-ness to them (as opposed to skillet-grilled sandwiches which I have yet to make without burning). And how about those grill stripes? Perfecto.
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- mango slices
- wheat bread (needs to be pretty sturdy)
- black bean puree (see above)
- Spread bean mixture evenly on bottom halves of the prepared rolls. Layer bread evenly with ham, mango, and provolone cheese; top with another slice of bread.
- Spread with butter (or grease the pan). Grill in a skillet or Panini Press until golden brown.
Reason #59: Eating Paninis typically leads to intense cravings for ice cream.
Yes, we did.