Team MUSHROOM. You’re on that team, right? If you’re not, let me attempt to hypnotize you in three
You’re hearing them sizzle. You’re smelling the butter and the garlic. You’re feeling the steam from the white wine going nutso as it’s being poured into the skillet. You’re popping mushrooms in your mouth. They’re golden brown and full of buttery garlic flavor. You like them. You like them. They taste so good and YOU LIKE THEM.
I’m pretty good at hypnosis, I know.
I joined Team Mushroom probably, like, a year ago? I don’t remember specifically when it was, but I do remember that, for better or worse, my initiation to the Team had a lot to do with butter, bread, and cheese and a medium amount to do with mushrooms. I mean, it should be illegal NOT to like a food that is sauteed in butter and garlic, and then a little white wine, and then piled high on toasted bread and snuggled up under a blanket of melted Provolone.
Ha-la-la-la-laaaa. I feel good.
I know it’s Monday but if I can just back up a wee bit, I want to remember the weekend. The blissful, sweet weekend. Aren’t weekends nice?
I made lots of good food, but not too much. Because I’m trying to rest and all that.
So instead of cooking myself into a frenzy over the two and half precious weekend days, I read Food and Wine magazine and pretended to be fancy. We had dinner with friends and I ate mass quantities of Eggplant Parmesan. January spring came to Minnesota in the form of 30 degrees and sunshine so we joined the whole state in enjoying the beautiful day outdoors. And then our favorite food from our favorite Indian restaurant somehow made it into our house, onto a plate, and straight on over to my couch-sitting, sweatshirt-wearing, Office-watching self. I like when that happens.
And then it was time for lunch again, just like that.
Food dominates my weekend.
But with melty cheese like that, how could it not?
I hereby surrender to golden bread with wine and garlic butter soaked mushrooms and the a halo of Provolone. Full and complete surrender, because it’s the first day of the week that starts with the M and I’m having a hard time thinking straight. If I may go so far as to say? These melts are just MADE for Mondays. They’re even #meatless. Go us.
You like mushrooms.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces fresh baby bella mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 slices Provolone cheese
- 4 slices wheat bread
- Wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel to remove dirt. Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic; saute until lightly browned. Turn the heat up to high, add the wine, and stir until the wine has cooked down and there is hardly any liquid left in the pan. Remove from heat and stir in the parsley.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet to medium high heat. Spread the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over the exterior of the 4 slices of bread (melting it first helps it go farther). Place the bread on the griddle, buttered side down, and top with mushrooms and one slice of Provolone. Top with a second slice of bread, buttered side facing up. Grill until golden brown, flip, and repeat. The cheese should be melty and gooey and bread will be crispy on the outside.
- - eCookbook with our top 25 recipes
- - Email Updates for new recipes
- - Exclusive discounts on our products